Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Durban: the 2017 model GANNET



        The 2017 model GANNET sports new mainsail and tiller covers and a hoodie.
        She also has replacement Windex and Raymarine masthead units.  Two cleats on the mast unseen beneath the mainsail cover for a reef tack line, brackets to secure the Tides Marine luff track, a fourth reef in the mainsail, and a clearer foredeck following the demise of two more Aurinco solar panels.
        Joost from the Netherlands was the inspiration for the simple hood.  I thank him.
       
        Unintentionally she has the latest in two-tone decks.  The paint is International’s InterDeck white.  Yesterday I used the end of an old can bought in New Zealand and a new can bought here.  Not until today when I went to touch-up near the bow where I started with the old can did I realize that all whites are not created equal, or perhaps it is a matter of age.
        I bent the sails on this morning, which turned out to be more of an ordeal than expected.


        In no wind, I got the jib up, but then couldn’t furl it.  The head swivel turned with the foil causing the halyard to wrap.  I felt and then saw what was happening in time, reversed the foil by hand, lowered the sail, changed to the other jib halyard, raised it again, more difficult now with wind from astern.  Tried to furl.  Halyard wrapped.  Down again.  I had already applied the approved grease to the swivel.  I added copious WD40.  Up again in more wind and the jib reluctantly furled.
        Clothes as wet with sweat as if I just swum across the harbor, I retired to the Great Cabin and consumed a liter/quart of water.
        Recovered, but still perplexed, I got the main on without difficulty.
        Walking back from my shower this afternoon I noticed that the end of the halyard I tied to the head swivel with a bowline is pointing toward the foil and might have caught against it preventing the swivel from turning independently.  The next calm morning, I’ll lower the sail and retie the knot and see what happens.
        Most of the boat work is done.
        With the sails and sprit above deck, the cabin is delightfully uncluttered, if only briefly.
        On to provisioning.